03 November 2010

A Dialogue of 'Nah' Usage



Ali : Aiyo! The weather these days very hot lah. Cannot tahan.
Abu: Nah, drink this! Very refreshing.
Ali : Coconut juice from Uncle Lim?
Abu: Yah, nice and cold with plenty of ice . You owe me 1 Ringgit.
Ali : Nah, take it from my wallet.

The 'Nah' here is used when giving something to another person. In the above dialogue, the 'nah' can be said in a friendly buddy manner.

Ah Seng: You want to die izit?
Ah Kao : No... no... I'll return the money as soon as I can.
Ah Seng: Your soon is not soon enough leh!
Ah Kao : Take my watch first.
Ah Seng: I don't want your watch. No value! Nah, take this! (*punch*)

The 'Nah' here also means 'to give'. It is used in a threatening manner. It often meant to sound rude or impolite.

According to Malay vocabulary, the word 'nah' is commonly used to give things to another person in a impolite manner. Some said that the 'nah' is derived from the Chinese expression "拿", which means 'take'.


No comments:

Post a Comment